- running track
Got Art? We do. From the Fleming Museum — a treasure prized for being Vermont's most comprehensive collection of art and anthropology — to visiting artists and intriguing lecturers, grand theatrical performances on UVM's historic Royall Tyler Theatre stage, and talented musical and dance acts. The arts thrive on UVM's campus and around the region.
Did you know?
Dance performance opportunities are abundant at UVM. Whether through a club or class, dancers practice in our first-rate dance studio.
On-campus art scene at-a-glance
- The Music Department's 300-seat acoustically superb recital hall is home to student and faculty recitals, lectures and more. Learn about UVM's concert band, jazz band, percussion ensemble, symphony orchestra, jazz vocal ensemble, hand drumming, the choral groups, the many talented faculty musicians, and more
- UVM's Lane Series presents 20-25 events per-year including chamber music, film, opera, jazz, world music, folk, baroque, piano, and more.
- Dance on campus is alive and well. Along with an academic program in dance, several dance teams are present on campus including co-ed, athletic event dance team, swing and salsa opportunities.
- Student Life groups work overtime to bring national acts to campus every year. Past musical acts include: The Disco Biscuits, the Easy Star Allstars, The Flaming Lips, Toots and the Maytals, Gov't Mule, The Roots, Common, Yonder Mountain String Band, George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, String Cheese Incident, the list goes on. Past comedians include: Jon Stewart, Wanda Sykes Dane Cook, Margaret Cho, Dave Chappelle.
- The 300-seat Royall Tyler Theatre is home to the UVM Theatre company and the Department of Theatre. Five major productions happen each year; auditions are open to everyone.
- The Fleming Museum and many other exhibit spaces (such as the Art Department's Colburn Gallery) exist right on UVM's campus and welcome students for free. The Fleming has hosted Andy Warhol and Pablo Picasso exhibits along with its permanent collection of 20,000 objects.
- The Living/Learning Gallery offers the campus exposure to a variety of artistic mediums including past exhibits in holography, international AIDS posters, Holocaust art, video exhibits, clay installations and more.
Off-campus art scene at-a-glance
The independent history of Vermont has always attracted artists who bring a rich cultural backdrop to the area surrounding UVM. Talented musicians, fine artists, writers and others continue to enrich the community by drawing artistic festivals, music, theatre, exhibits, independent studios and more.
- The Flynn Center for the Performing Arts proudly hosts performances from local groups like the Lyric Theatre Company, Vermont Stage Company, Vermont Symphony Orchestra, FlynnArts Dance Company shows; while also featuring national acts in the past such as the "Rent" Broadway national tour, "Mamma Mia!" Broadway national tour, "Kiss Me Kate" Broadway national tour, Capital Steps, STOMP, Mikhail Baryshnikov with pianist Pedja Muzijevic, Les Balley Africains, Bonnie Raitt, Roseanne Cash, James Taylor, Ben Harper, George Carlin, and so many more.
- Annual celebrations of the arts include: The South End Art Hop, the Burlington Discover Jazz Festival, the Burlington Book Festival, Gospel Festival, the Vermont International Film Festival, Lake Champlain Bluegrass Fest and more.
- Local music clubs include venues such as Higher Ground, Nectar's, Red Square and others, booking past acts like Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, David Gray, Wilco, The Tragically Hip, Phish, Marc Cohn, Cake, The Samples, Ricki Lee Jones, Lyle Lovett, Black Crowes, Rufus Wainwright, Damien Rice, etc.
The University of Vermont combines elements of a private and public institution, and that is reflected in its Board of Trustees (which has full legal responsibility and authority for the university). It consists of 25 members:
- nine legislative
- nine self-perpetuating
- three gubernatorial
- two students
- two ex-officio members
- the governor of Vermont
- the president of the university
UVM administration, led by the president and the senior vice president/provost, and the Faculty Senate share responsibility in managing the university's academic affairs