San Diego State University (SDSU, State) is a public research university in San Diego, and is the largest and oldest higher education facility in San Diego County.
Founded in 1897 as San Diego Normal School, it is the third-oldest university in the 23-member California State University (CSU). SDSU has a student body of more than 35,000 and an alumni base of more than 260,000.
The Carnegie Foundation has designated San Diego State University a "Research University with high research activity," placing it among the top 200 higher education institutions in the country conducting research.In the 2009–10 academic year, the university obtained $150 million for research, including $26 million from the National Institutes of Health. The university soon expects to be classified as "Doctoral/Research-Extensive."As reported by the Faculty Scholarly Productivity Index (FSP Index) released by the Academic Analytics organization of Stony Brook, New York, SDSU is the number one small research university in the United States for four (4) academic years in a row.SDSU sponsors the second highest number of Fulbright Scholars in the state of California, just behind UC Berkeley. Since 2005, the university has produced over 40 Fulbright student scholars.
The university generates over $2.4 billion annually for the San Diego economy, while sixty percent of SDSU graduates remain in San Diego,making SDSU a primary educator of the region's work force. Committed to serving the diverse San Diego region, SDSU ranks among the top ten universities nationwide in terms of ethnic and racial diversity among its student body, as well as the number of bachelor's degrees conferred upon minority students.
San Diego State University is a member of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges(WASC),the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU), the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges, and the Southwest Border Security Consortium.
Документ об окончании:
Undergraduate Diploma, Postgraduate Diploma
The football team plays at Qualcomm Stadium (formerly known as Jack Murphy Stadium).
The basketball teams play at Viejas Arena on the SDSU campus.
The baseball team plays in Tony Gwynn Stadium on the SDSU campus, named after the SDSU baseball and basketball player and former head coach, Tony Gwynn.
The women's volleyball team plays in Peterson Gym on the SDSU campus. The men's volleyball team won the NCAA Championship in 1973, but the team has since been disbanded.
Both the men's and women's teams both play at the Sports Deck on the SDSU campus. The women compete in the Mountain West Conference while the men compete in the Pacific-12 Conference.
SDSU's ice hockey team participates in the ACHA Men's Division 2. They advanced to National Championship final game in 2008 for ACHA Men's Division 3 and lost 7–3 to California University of Pennsylvania.
Aztec Racing – San Diego State's Formula Society of Automotive Engineers - builds a small Formula 1 style race car each year from the ground up. SDSU engineering students design, build, and race the car against hundreds of other schools around the world. SDSU business students help manage, finance, and promote the team as well as seeking sponsorship opportunities.
Initial clubs that were first started on campus including the Debating Club, the Associated Student Body, YWCA, and in 1906, an alumni association.The oldest club on campus was The Rowing Association.
Students began publishing The White and Gold in 1902, which was a literary magazine and newspaper. In 1913, a new newspaper was established entitled Normal News Weekly. The school newspaper Paper Lantern (Normal News Weeklywas renamed after the addition of the junior college) became The Aztec in September 1925.It was later expanded to its current name, The Daily Aztec. The school's annual yearbook was named Del Sudoeste (Spanish for "of the southwest") in the early 1920s. The Koala, a comedy newspaper that is widely known around the San Diego State area, is also distributed monthly on campus but is not directly connected to the school at the moment
On February 27, 1931, President Hardy permitted 500 students to paint rocks and form a 400-foot (120 m) "S" on Cowles Mountain. Nicknamed "S" mountain, the idea was created by the Council of Twelve and initially supported by Hardy. The giant S was lit at night for the opening football game of a season (performed by the freshman to build school spirit) along with pep rallies, and was repainted throughout its history. At the time, it was the largest collegiate symbol in the world.During World War II, the S was camouflaged to prevent it becoming a reference point for enemy bombing aircraft.It was returned to its normal state in April 1944. In the 1970s students stopped painting it and brush obstructed the symbol. After a 1988 brush fire it was exposed, and students repainted it. In fall, 1997, a group of 100 volunteers climbed Cowles Mountain after dusk to commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the school by using flashlights to once again outline the "S" on the side of the mountain. In 1990, a high school prank defaced the S to read as "91" in honor of their graduating class.
School colors and mascot
The initial colors of the school were white and gold. When the junior college was added to the campus in 1921, its colors of blue and gold were merged, resulting in a blue, gold, and white color scheme. New colors were later chosen as gold and purple, until being replaced by crimson and black on January 28, 1928.
The school's prior nicknames for its mascot included "Normalites", "Professors", and "Wampus Cats". However, after a 1924 committee met to address the issue, the name "Aztecs" was decided on.In 2003, the Aztec Warrior was approved by a student and alumni vote to become the official university mascot after the school's prior mascot, Monty Montezuma, was discontinued.